Friday, June 4, 2010

It's not a volcano is it?


It's funny the little tidbits of information that get home and how. 

When I lived in Austin I didn't see my mom every day even though she only lived 20 minutes away, but I talked to her almost every single day on the phone at least once. Sometimes multiple times per day. 

And despite being halfway around the world, we have the digital era to thank for the almost instantaneous assurance that all is well with our loved ones. We were talking constantly when I first got here, but now we pretty much just e-mail a few times a week.

Here's a little snippet of today's conversation:

Mom: How's my baby girl doing these days?
Me: I'm good. Working a lot. Keeping busy. Can't wait to start traveling. I started my diving course (the actual dives now). We're going back this weekend. I'm also going to climb (well, hike really) a really freaking tall mountain in a couple of weeks.
 Mom: Wow!  How tall is the mountain?
 Me: Just under 13,000 feet.
Mom: Wow! I assume it has hiking trails? *(I'm sure even you can see her going into protective-mom mode.) 
 Me: Yes. Very clearly marked trails. We had to get a permit to climb it because in Taiwan they are crazy over protective. They only let a certain number of people on the mountain at a time. All set though. 
Mom: Why do they only let a set amount at a time? So if someone does come up missing? It’s not a volcano is it? *(At this point I could "hear" the panic in her typing.)   
Me: No, mom, it's not a volcano. It's simply the tallest mountain in Taiwan. The fourth tallest mountain ON AN ISLAND in the world. I'm considering climbing a volcano in Indonesia, though. That all depends on if I have enough time and can get a permit though. :)
I love my mom and I think it's cute how despite that fact that I'm in my mid-20s she still gets all crazy, over-protective mommy on me. But at the same time, sometimes it's just too easy to freak her out.

Love you, Mom!

1 comment:

  1. I love you to baby girl, remember mommy is with you always.

    ReplyDelete