Thursday, June 3, 2010

When do you feel pressed for time?


I've had my nose in my Southeast Asia on a Shoestring from the Lonely Planet for about a week now. I actually lent it to a friend for the next few days so that I'll stop reading it constantly.

While doing my homework is a good idea, I get kind of obsessive and then really anxious. I don't know how I'm going to survive five weeks out of a backpack if I can't just go with the flow of things.

It got all sunny, warm and beautiful on Monday. Of course, it would since it rained on us all day Sunday while we were in the pool learning to dive. 

But, by Wednesday night it was pouring again. 

In fact, it rained off an on most of the afternoon Wednesday. Then it started raining at about 8 p.m. Wednesday night and hasn't stopped since. It been a varied flow of rain, but constant nonetheless.

Hopefully this means Taiwan will just get it out of its system by Sunday. If only I could be so lucky.

I don't have a whole lot of free time left in Taiwan so I really need to make the most of it. I have a list of things I really want to do, or more accurately, places I want to go so I can take a million pictures:

  • The Pingxi Rail Line - If you'll remember we discovered this gem during Lantern Festival. I would really like to go back and go all along the entire train line for some hiking, waterfalls, and just a genuine Taiwan experience outside of the city.
  • Jiufen - I've been trying to get to this little tea town in the mountains (yet on the ocean...) for awhile now but it seems it's always raining when I plan to go. One of these days.
  • Longdong - I only recently discovered this. Apparently it's a ton of beautiful, ocean-side cliffs where you can go rock climbing. You can also cliff dive into the ocean. I really just want to take amazing pictures but I used to love rock climbing so maybe I can try my hand at it again.
  • Yeliu - This is a geological park that's on the northeast coast. It's supposed to be really cool with a lot of rocks that have eroded into really cool shapes. 
  • Wulai - I've been to Xiao Wulai a couple of times but I would still like to get up to Wulai. It's supposed to be beautiful and, well, I do love waterfalls. Also, the ropes course up there sounds like a bit of an adventure.
There are a few other minor things that I'm hoping I can fit in there. I'm also excited that I will be getting to Jade Mountain in less than two weeks. Despite not doing all the things most people do when they come to Taiwan, at least I can say I did something very few people get to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment