Thursday, July 23, 2009

Have you ever eaten stinky tofu?

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I still haven't tried stinky tofu yet. In one of my classes tonight we were talking about places we had been or things we had done.

The kids asked me if I had eaten stinky tofu yet. I turned up my nose and made a gagging noise. It was pretty funny. They tried to tell me that it tastes soooo good, but I just couldn't believe them.

Much of our conversation revolved around eating hamburgers and the fact that French fries are, in fact, American food not French. I sort of feel like I didn't teach those kids anything tonight, but at the same time, we had an actual conversation that wasn't formatted out. That's probably a first for all of us.

Last night there was a wine and cheese party at the Romantic Paris Mansion. It is not a love hotel, I promise. It's actually an apartment complex where a few of the other teachers just moved in. I love their apartment. It's just big enough and so adorable!

They actually have an extra room right now since Megan got the internship in Washington, D.C. and won't be moving in with them after all. I'm sort of hoping that I may be the lucky person to take over that room. It would mean not saving as much money, but given how cheap it is and that I would only be sharing with two people instead of twenty, it's totally worth it.

Not a lot else has happened in the past couple of days. There have been some disturbances in the dorm: People being loud in the middle of the night because they're really messed up; People being too messed up to know what is going on around them; People still not cleaning up their messes in the kitchen and then not realizing it was even their mess to begin with the next day because they were so messed up...

I'm beginning to see a trend.

Not to judge, but I feel like I'm still in my early college years. Apparently, it's fairly normal to drink way more than you can handle. The substance abuse around here rivals that backstage of a Jimi Hendrix concert.

I'm not a fan.

It's odd considering many people will joke about how they're probably alcoholics. Unfortunately, joking is not the same as admitting you have a problem.

I think I actually drink way less here. Not just in quantity but also in how often. The funny thing about that is I have more free time. Maybe I have just finally found something better to do with my time than to drink away the hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment