Friday, February 12, 2010

How do people celebrate Chinese New Year?

With a ton of fireworks, every thing you can possibly imagine covered in red, and nine days off work.

I could totally get used to this.

Yesterday I finished my Chinese textbook! I am so proud of myself.

And to make it even cooler, this morning I went to get dan bing and the woman started chatting at me because I've been there three times this week. She made me feel so good.

Her: Do you have class next door this morning.
Me: Yes, I do. The students are so cute.
Her: How long have you lived in Taiwan — 2 years, 4 years?
Me: What? No, no, no. I've only been here for a little more than 8 months.
Her: Eight months! But you speak Chinese so well!
Me: Oh, thank you but I am still learning. I have been learning for about 7 months now.
Her: Only 7 months! You speak so well!

Yep, and that entire conversation was in Chinese. Granted my Chinese was slow and I had to really think about what I was saying, but I was completely able to understand her and I eventually made legitimate replies that made sense.

Yay!

Then at school this morning we just had a big assembly. We played Tug of War and it was the most fun I've had in a few months.

I really love those times when I get to play like a little kid. (Remember the time we had a water-gun/water-balloon fight in the park?)

I'm looking forward to lots of New Year fun!


新年快樂! (Happy New Year!) 恭喜發財! (Congratulations and best wishes for a prosperous New Year!)

1 comment: