Monday, March 29, 2010

How do you do that backwards?


Backwards week just started and I'm already a little tired of it.

In some aspects it's a lot of fun, but it can also be really annoying/frustrating/confusing.

"Take out your books" means "Put away your books."

"Yes" means "No."

"Hungry" means "Thirsty."

It's really hard to keep track of everything in your head.

I played Teacher Says (a game that I kind of already suck at given that I'm the teacher) and I kept getting confused. If I told them to look left that meant look right. If I said to do the gesture for near they did the gesture for far. I love to get them to do things like jump on one foot or pat their heads and rub their tummies, but how do you do that backwards?

It was fun for the most part, but I foresee it getting really obnoxious by the end of the week. 

Two awesome things happened today.

Tess walked into the apartment this afternoon, looked at me and in a very happy voice told me "I have something for you!"

She proceeded to force me to close my eyes and hold out my hands. I was a little wary but decided, "Meh, it can't possibly be anything bad."

I was right because it was this!

 SHE FOUND DR. PEPPER AT THE BAKING STORE!!!!

If you knew me you would know that I love Dr. Pepper and I pretty much had withdrawals when I got here (which will most likely be replaced with tea withdrawals when I leave Taiwan). 

When I went home for Christmas I drank nothing but Dr. Pepper and booze. I love Dr. Pepper so much. There was actually a point in my life at which I thought I had an addiction and had to give myself a very stern limit each day. 

It's like sugary bliss in my mouth.

Now that Dr. Pepper can be a regular part of my life again I'll probably have to put some stipulations on when and how often we can be together. No late nights. Maybe only a few times a week. I would hate for us to get carried away.

The second awesome thing is that I got a present from my students' grandfather.

 It's a Pepsi Peacock!

You can't really tell from the picture but it was very meticulously put together. He said it takes about two hours to make. I imagine if I tried to do something like this I would cut myself on the pieces about a million times. 

(By the way, I'm totally on the roll with presents today!)

It's really fun getting random little things like this. It's this kind of stuff that totally makes my day.

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! If only I'd known about your Dr. Pepper addiction. I could've put you out of your misery a long time ago. There is a Jason's (international food store) in the basement of the FE21 mall beside the train station. They have Dr. Pepper there. Always have. They recently added 'Guarana' which is the national soft drink of Brazil and made with deliciously sweet and caffeinated Amazon berries. I refuse to pay NT$75 for a can though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of crazy English are you teaching over there? The opposite of "hungry" is not "thirsty" — it's "full".
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leila - I can't believe I never knew about this store. Of course, I always forget there are grocery stores in the bottom of department stores. I find it a bit odd and confusing.

    Meghan - Indeed the opposite of hungry is not usually thirsty, but given that the gesture set is "Hot, Cold, Hungry, Thirsty" it is. Awkward I know, but oh well.

    ReplyDelete